Did you know that May 4th isn't the only date to celebrate Star Wars?
That's right, May 5th is also dedicated to the beloved franchise, and it's called Revenge of the Fifth.
If you're a diehard Star Wars fan or just curious about this quirky holiday, step into the galaxy with me as we explore the origins of Revenge of the Fifth, how it is celebrated, and some fun events that have taken place on this special day.
Origin of Revenge of the Fifth
Ever since the phrase "May the Force be with you" was introduced to the world, fans have playfully transformed it into "May the Fourth be with you" to celebrate Star Wars Day on May 4th. The witty follow-up to that, of course, is Revenge of the Fifth, a clever pun inspired by the movie title "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith."
While the origins of Revenge of the Fifth date are unclear, it has grown in popularity as fans continue the celebration from May the Fourth. Just as the dark side of the Force balances out the light side, Revenge of the Fifth allows fans to give the Empire and Sith a moment in the spotlight.
Significance and Celebration
Revenge of the Fifth is often greeted with the same enthusiasm as its lighter counterpart, May the Fourth.
It is a day to pay homage to the "dark side" and its characters, such as Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, and the Sith Lords. Fans celebrate by dressing up as their favorite dark side characters, streaming or watching the Star Wars movies, hosting themed parties, and engaging in lightsaber duels.
One notable difference between the two days is that May the Fourth has received official recognition from the Star Wars franchise with events, product releases, and promotional deals. Although Revenge of the Fifth is not officially recognized, fans still find their own ways to mark the day and have memorable experiences.
Notable Revenge of the Fifth Events
In the past, fans have organized various events to celebrate Revenge of the Fifth. Some examples include:
- Themed pub and trivia nights that focus on the dark side of the Star Wars galaxy
- Marathons (in-person or virtual) where fans dress up as Sith or other dark side characters like Kylo Ren.
- Special screenings of the darker Star Wars films, such as "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Revenge of the Sith."
- Art exhibitions and fan meetups where fans can buy or trade Sith and Empire-centric memorabilia
Ideas for Celebrating Revenge of the Fifth
Whether you're a diehard Star Wars fan, or you're just learning about this fun holiday, here are some creative ways to enjoy Revenge of the Fifth:
- Host a Sith-themed costume party with your friends, complete with a dark side-inspired menu
- Create your unique dark side-inspired artwork or fan fiction
- Binge-watch the darker Star Wars films or have a marathon of Clone Wars and Rebels episodes, focusing on the storylines featuring the Sith
So go ahead and mark your calendar, gather your fellow Star Wars enthusiasts, and prepare to turn to the dark side!
As you revel in the exciting world of the Sith and the Empire, remember to embrace the power of the Force and always have a plan for escape - just in case.
Happy Revenge of the Fifth!